Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Aww... i've just paid a heavy price for my stupidity..

And because of that, for the next few days, im going to rely heavily on my non-master left hand...

This morning, the water in the electric kettle had boiled and after switching off, i reached behind the kettle to get a cup. Then, i felt a sharp pain on my wrist.

In an instant, i pulled back my hand and rubbed against my shirt. It was a terrible mistake. I looked at my hand and realised a big patch of my skin had came off.

I was scalded by the steam from the mouth of the kettle with boiling water. Yes, at that time, my hand was just above the mouth of kettle when trying to get a cup behind...

I was stunned at the amount of skin that came off. It was unlike the whitish dead skin from sunburnt that peeled off. This time, the skin was thick and brownish.

A bad natural human reaction of mine.

I quickly cooled the scalded area under running water and the exposed area was turning from pale to slight reddish. Then i put some toothpaste on it. The pain was agonising. Pus was slowly oozing out, turning the toothpaste a pale yellow..

But i needed to go for lessons. I have no choice but to rinse off the toothpaste and dry the 10cm by 3cm scalded area that stretched from the bottom of my thumb to my wrist. It was big.

I endured the pain throughout my bus journey and 2hrs tutorial. Once a while, i would use a tissue to wipe off the pus oozing out from my wound. I din bandage it yet.

After lesson, i went to see the doctor in NUS. Then, my wound was cleaned and dressed. At first, i thought she would probably put the gauze on top and put a bandage. In the end, she wrapped the bandage round and round and now, it appeared i have fractured my wrist like that....

Now, my right hand cannot be wet. I will probably face a lot of difficulties using my left hand. Try one hand shampooing...

And i need to be bandaged for at least 1 week because of the severity. And i hope the scar wont be prominent... sighz.

The power of Thermodynamics, i thought, which explains why the burn from steam is more severe than the burn from boiling water. Now i understand.


Oh well, there will be a test this saturday, hopefully it wont affect me.

No comments: