During Nation Day Rally, Prime Minister mentioned how Singapore's service standards lag behind that of Hong Kong and other developed countries and issued a challenge to companies, service staff and customers alike, to improve Singapore's service culture. Despite that, today, i'd witnessed a lousy service quality which left me thinking there is not much hope for Singapore.
I was at Royal Sporting House in Suntec City. I wanted to buy sandals there. After choosing the one i want, i looked around for staff. Surprisingly no staffs actually approached me until i waved at one of them. So i asked for the size i wanted and he took quite some time to get it. What appalled me was, he actually put the shoe box onto the chair, opened up, took out one of the sandals for me and went away.
I thought, arent staffs supposed to stay there and wait for customers to try it on and see if it fits? But no. He left the sandals and went away some 10metres away to join other staffs to chat. Never mind, I thought. I tried on the sandals and it was just nice. Actually i wanted 1 size bigger, but seeing that he had gone and no staff was around, i abandoned that thought. Deliberately, i put the sandals back into the box slowly, put the box lid back, stood up, carried my bag and looked around, thinking that staff would come back. But no. Oh well, forget it then. I took the box of sandals to the counter myself and paid.
Then i thought, what a lousy service this place has. Whatever. That staff chose not to get his commission (if there is any) by not serving me. Or he must have thought i would not buy that sandals and it was a waste of his time serving me. This is bad.
When will Singapore have a world-class service standards?
I've been to Seoul and i must say, their service standards are way superior to Singapore's and that was 3 years ago. Honestly, their services are so good, it become a bit annoying. Imagine getting greeted at every corner in a supermarket, yes, just a supermarket like NTUC, and asked if they could help, albeit i dont understand korean. But still, it was a form of services they provided. I dont see that in Singapore.
You are left on your own.
Monday, August 22, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment